A long-term care pharmacy is a beneficial service several pharmacies and health facilities provide their residents. These facilities are located in skilled nursing centers, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, or within a retail pharmacy. Long-term care pharmacies provide consistent medications specified to their patients’ needs over a long period of time.
In order to be considered an official long-term care pharmacy, the facility must meet the following four requirements:
- Prescription processing
- Dispensing and delivery
- Medication administration and management
- Return, reuse, and disposal of medications
- Ability to respond to emergencies and fill prescriptions 24/7
As America continues to age, relationships with long-term care pharmacies are essential. Finding the closest pharmacy to you and ensuring they can meet your needs will make your life easier down the road.
The Benefits of a Long-Term Care Pharmacy
- The pharmacists are trained in this type of care. A retail pharmacy usually fills one prescription at a time for patients. A long-term care pharmacy is equipped to handle the number of medications needed as well as keep everything organized. If you or your loved one requires multiple medications, trusting a pharmacy to keep everything organized is essential. In fact, there are very strict regulations LTC pharmacies must comply with when it comes to the packaging and labeling of medication.
- They are always available to fill emergency prescriptions. One of the requirements of a long-term pharmacy is their ability to fill emergency prescriptions 24/7. You never know when or where an emergency situation may strike. Finding a long-term pharmacy you trust will ensure you can get what you need when you need it.
- Medications are delivered to the facility or home on a regular basis. This consistency is important whether the pharmacy is working with an individual or a facility with multiple patients. People who rely on medications need to be able to trust that those meds will be delivered on time. Long term care pharmacies are beneficial because they help keep you or your loved one stocked with what you need.
Long-term care pharmacies are a great option for the elderly regardless of where they are living. They collaborate directly with your physician to help ensure you get the maximum benefit from your medication. They also work to minimize possible drug interactions and side effects. If you’re caring for your parent or another loved one, trusting a long-term care pharmacy to deliver what they need can make a huge difference.
If you’re in need of a long-term care pharmacy or other pharmacy services, come to Mullaney’s Pharmacy & Medical Supply. We are a family-owned and operated pharmacy and medical supplier serving the Greater Cincinnati area. Visit or contact one of our five locations for more information.