CPAP Machines for Sale in Cincinnati
Sleep apnea can be a scary and dangerous condition. Fortunately, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices, or CPAP machines, help you keep breathing through the night. They are the golden standard of treatment and are often recommended by sleep doctors.
How does a CPAP machine work?
CPAP machines take air from the room into a filter and pressurize it. The pressure of the air will vary based on what your sleep specialist suggests for you. The air is then passed through a heated humidifier to prevent dry mouth and then moves to the mask on your face.
This is where the true benefit of CPAP machines comes. The constant pressure from the air being pumped into the mask creates a “cushion” along the upper airway that prevents it from collapsing. Therefore, the soft palate, uvula, and tongue are prevented from shifting into the airway.
BiPAP vs. CPAP Machines
BiPAP stands for Bilevel (or two-level) Positive Airway Pressure . Like CPAP, a BiPAP machine operates by directing air through a tube into a mask that goes over the nose. While CPAPs provide a single pressure, however, BiPAP provides two: an inhale pressure and an exhale pressure.
CPAP Machine Brands We Sell
There are many brands that produce these machines and accessories, and we carry only the best of the best. ResMed and Respironics are two brands that have been trusted by Mullaney’s customers for years. They are durable, reliable, and produce an assortment of masks for your comfort and well-being.
Mullaney’s carries a wide range of CPAP machines to fit your every need. Small and relatively quiet, we have something for everyone. We’re happy to work with you and your medical provider to find the right machine for you. Your comfort and health is our top priority.
Your comfort and health are of the utmost importance. Whether you prefer under-the-nose masks, full-face masks, or nasal masks, we have a selection of each.
Many people who use these machines find that falling asleep is especially difficult when the mask doesn’t fit properly around the nose and mouth. That’s why we also provide mask accessories to maximize your comfort. We just recommend that you remember to clean your mask!
Humidifiers can be used for comfort when using a CPAP machine. Newer models come with a humidifier already built in, but you can also purchase a humidifier to attach to your machine. They also help with keeping your airway healthy!
What is sleep apnea?
These machines are some of the go-to treatment options for many with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the airways become blocked during sleep because the throat is too relaxed.
Collapsed airways occur when people with sleep apnea breathe in while asleep. This results in long pauses after breathing. These pauses can happen up to thirty times an hour for ten seconds at a time until breathing resumes. If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have sleep apnea:
- Snoring, especially when loud enough wake yourself or others
- Waking up gasping or choking for air
- Noticeable pauses in breathing in your sleep
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
If any of these symptoms seem familiar to you, see a sleep specialist as soon as possible. From there, they will help you find the treatment options that will work best for you.
Sleep Apnea Complications
Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition. Complications can include:
- Type 2 diabetes: Having sleep apnea increases your risk of developing insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Metabolic syndrome: This disorder may lead to a higher risk of heart disease. Symptoms include high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol levels, high blood sugar, and weight gain.
- Complications with medications and surgery: Obstructive sleep apnea is also a concern with some medications. It can also cause issues for general anesthesia. People with sleep apnea might be more likely to have complications after major surgery because they’re prone to breathing problems, especially when sedated and lying on their backs. Before you have surgery, tell your doctor about your sleep apnea and how it’s being treated.
- Liver problems: People with sleep apnea are more likely to have abnormal results on liver function tests, and their livers are more likely to show signs of scarring (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease).
- Sleep-deprived partners: Loud snoring can keep anyone who sleeps near you from getting good rest. It’s not uncommon for a partner to have to go to another room, or even to another floor of the house, to be able to sleep. Daytime sleepiness from the people you live with can quickly become a source of stress when experienced long-term.
CPAP machines provide continuous positive airway pressure. This ensures your airway doesn’t collapse. With most machines, you can change the pressure settings to get the most out of your CPAP treatment.
For a full range of machines, accessories, and humidifiers, call or visit Mullaney’s Pharmacy + Medical Supplies. Our dedicated and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help you find a machine that works for you. When it comes to treating sleep apnea, don’t trust your health to anyone but the best. Mullaney’s has everything you need to maintain your health!